Energy Efficient Windows and Your Home
If your home’s windows were installed years ago, chances are they’re not energy efficient. This means you’re likely paying more on energy bills from having to run your furnace or air conditioner frequently. Older windows could also be costing you in terms of needing maintenance or repairs done. Keep in mind that your home value is also lower when you have drafty old windows instead of energy efficient ones. This might not affect you now, but it will when you decide to sell your home. You can change all of this by having energy efficient windows installed on your Salt Lake City home.
What Are Energy Efficient Windows?
Energy efficient windows are ones that are designed to keep heated air inside your home when it’s cold out and prevent heat from getting into your home during Utah’s hot summers. This leads to reduced energy bills and several other benefits. The best energy efficient windows are compliant with the Energy Star program, which holds these products to strict standards. In order to be considered compliant Energy Star windows, these products must meet the following criteria:
- Be made by an Energy Star partner
- Undergo independent testing and receive certification from the National Fenestration Rating Council
- Receive NFRC ratings that meet the Department of Energy’s energy efficiency guidelines
Energy efficient windows have several features that allow them to block hot air from outside and trap hot air inside, including:
- High-quality vinyl frames: These frames are often insulated and made from vinyl that holds up well to ultraviolet light exposure.
- Multiple panes: Having more than one pane of glass provides higher energy savings and a number of other benefits.
- Low-e glass: Low-emissivity coatings only allow very low amounts of heat to pass through windows. They also reflect a higher percentage of heat from outside, which keeps it from entering through the window.
- Gas fills: This refers to inert gas between the window panes that helps block heat flow.
- Warm edge spacers: These provide barriers in the frame, that protect against heat loss.
When choosing energy efficient replacement windows, you’ll need to consider performance criteria, which varies by geographical location. For our area, that means finding windows that are able to keep your home considerably warmer in winter.
Facts About Energy Efficient Windows
Energy efficient windows have a performance rating that indicates how well they perform in the following categories:
- U-Factor: This indicates how much insulation the window provides based on the rate of heat transfer. Lower U-factors are associated with better insulation.
- Solar Heat Gain coefficient: This indicates how effectively the window prevents the sun’s heat from entering your home. Lower SHGC rates are associated with lower levels of solar heat.
- Visible transmittance: This indicates how much sunlight is able to come through the window. Higher VT rates mean better lighting.
- Air leakage: This indicates how much air is able to get through the window joints. Lower AL values mean less air passes through.
- Condensation resistance: This indicates how resistant the window is to moisture building up. Higher values mean less condensation.
Benefits of Double Pane Energy Efficient Windows
Double pane energy efficient windows offer several advantages over single pane windows, including:
- Higher savings and lower energy use: Having these windows installed means you don’t have to run your air conditioner or furnace as much, leading to lower utility bills throughout the year.
- Improved comfort: These windows provide your home with a more comfortable air temperature all year round. In summer, they help keep cool air inside and hot air outside. During winter, they prevent drafts from outside and help trap heated air indoors.
- Reduced condensation: Double pane windows have a lower risk of moisture buildup, which means there’s a lower risk of having mites or mold grow. If you or someone else in your home has a respiratory condition, reducing the risk of condensation with double pane windows can lead to fewer health problems.
- Reduced fading: Sunlight can cause carpeting and upholstery to fade over time. With double pane windows, most of those damaging rays are blocked, leading to a lower risk of fading or discoloring.
- Increased light and view: Double pane windows allow more light to pass through without also letting in more heat.
Window Replacement in Salt Lake City, Utah
Replacing windows is a major project that requires thorough knowledge on how to do it safely. Otherwise, you could end up damaging your home or running into problems again with drafts if your new windows aren’t properly installed. Instead of taking this risk, have our window installation professionals do it for you. When you hire Advanced Window Products to handle your energy efficient window installation, you’ll be getting the following benefits:
- Safe window removal
- Customized options for the design and manufacturing process of your new energy efficient windows
- Proper window installation and finishing that includes applying insulating features and leveling to ensure that the frame fits securely
- Thorough cleanup
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Assistance with receiving tax credits and rebates
- Offers of no-interest financing