How to Measure Your Pet for a Sliding Glass Pet DoorPet doors are a convenient way to give your cat or dog access to both outdoors and indoors, even when you’re not home. This is especially helpful to pet owners who work long hours and can’t always let the pets out for bathroom breaks. Having a pet door for cat or dog helps eliminate accidents during housebreaking and can reduce overall training time. It also prevents boredom by providing all the mental and sensory stimuli the outdoors has to offer. Boredom leads to a number of unwanted behaviors like chewing, so an entertained pet means less household destruction. It’s important to install the correct size door for your pet or pets in order to prevent injury to the animal and undue damage the door. To begin, you will need a tape measure and you will want to measure the largest pet that will be using the door.
Sizing Up Your PetUsing your largest pet, take the following measurements:
- Measure across the widest part of the pet, usually the chest, then add one to two inches to this number for door width
- Double-check your width by opening the door this amount, then having the pet step through
- Measure from the ground to the highest point of your pet’s back (not the head), usually the top of the shoulders
- Measure from the ground to the lowest point on your pet’s underside (in some breeds, this is the stomach, while in other breeds, it will be the chest)
- Subtract the low-point number (belly) from the high-point number (shoulders), then add one to two inches to get your door opening height
- Rise (how far the pet has to step up to use the door) plus your door opening height should be one to two inches higher than the tallest pet’s shoulder height