One of the most important aspects of house value is simple curb appeal. It not only influences property values, but also sets the stage for how the interior of the home is perceived. Perhaps no decision more impacts the look of a house than choosing an exterior surface for your home. But which should you pick? Both stucco and vinyl have their advantages, as well as drawbacks. When thinking about redoing the exterior of your home, consider Advanced Window Products for your siding and window replacement needs.
Should I Choose Vinyl Siding or Stucco?
Vinyl Siding and Stucco are two of the most popular home exteriors, but deciding between the two can sometimes be difficult. Both are sturdy materials which are impervious to rot and extremely resistant to infestation by termites or other insects. There are other aspects however where they differ greatly. There are several factors you will want to take into consideration when making a decision.
One of the first factors many home owners consider is appearance. While both exteriors give a finished look to a home, they fit two very different styles. Vinyl siding creates a clean and classic look with interlocking panels, while stucco forms a single surface which is irregularly organic and unique. When it comes to appearance, personal taste is really the deciding factor between the two.
You will also want to consider the differing maintenance needs of the two materials. Stucco lasts longer overall, but needs more maintenance than vinyl siding. Installation may also be a factor. Vinyl siding is relatively straightforward and easy to install, meaning the process can go very quickly. The unique look of stucco requires a certain artistry to create, and can take longer to install. Installation of both exteriors can usually be completed within a week, but the costs involved may be very different.
Beyond the installation costs, which will include both the costs of the materials as well as the labor to install, there are other costs to be aware of. First, you will want to consider ongoing maintenance costs, as well as how long the exterior will last until it eventually needs to be replaced. A lower up front cost is usually a key factor in homeowner’s decision, but this may be offset by a material with high maintenance costs, or materials that will need to be replaced frequently. Another financial consideration is the potential reduction of your utility bills that you may get due to energy savings. Different exteriors have different insulating properties and may have a large impact on your monthly bills. Both exteriors also provide different levels of protection from the elements, impacting potential repair costs after rough weather.
Benefits and Disadvantages of Vinyl Siding vs. Stucco
Benefits of Vinyl Siding:
- Cost effective – Vinyl siding is one of the most affordable housing exteriors, with low material and installation costs.
- Variety –Vinyl siding comes in a wide range of colors, styles, and textures.
- Low Maintenance – Vinyl siding is extremely durable, and requires little to no upkeep. The color will not fade with time, keeping the look of your house fresh and new.
Disadvantages of Vinyl Siding:
- Paint – Unlike stucco, vinyl siding is unable to be painted. This means that updating or changing the look of your exterior would require that the siding be replaced.
- Energy efficiency – Although there are insulated options for vinyl siding, it is not as energy efficient or protective against the elements as stucco.
- Distinction – Some people may feel that vinyl siding just does not give a home the same distinctive and unique look that stucco can provide.
Benefits of Stucco:
- Energy Efficient – Stucco is one of the best insulating exteriors, and can have a large reductive impact on your home’s energy costs.
- Distinction – Stucco provides a unique and high-end look which some people may feel cannot be matched by vinyl siding.
- Protective – Stucco is extremely durable and protective of your home. It is nearly impervious to damage by wind, hail, or other natural elements.
Disadvantages of Stucco:
- Cost – Stucco can be very expensive overall, both in materials and installation costs.
- Maintenance – Unlike vinyl siding, stucco requires continual upkeep. Stucco absorbs moisture and can easily develop cracks as your home settles and shifts. Leaving these cracks unattended can lead to the stucco flaking off or other moisture damage.
- Variety – Although stucco has a unique look and can be painted many different colors, the overall style offers little variety.
How Advanced Window Products Can Help
If you choose vinyl siding for your home, consider Advanced Window Products. AWP offers vinyl siding in a wide variety of colors and styles, and our focus is on high-quality installation. We are so confident of the quality of our services that we offer a VIP limited lifetime warranty on parts and labor to prove it. AWP is also the #1 window replacement company in Utah, and also offers sliding doors and other exterior products for your home. Check out our 30th anniversary specials, which include our vinyl siding. Contact us here, or call 801-505-9622 to learn more, or schedule a free consultation on any of our services.