To clean your single hung windows or perform routine maintenance on those, it’s generally easier and more efficient to do the job by removing the sash. Although it is easy to remove the sash, it can be helpful to have a little introduction to the quick little maneuver to do it before you try it the first time.
Below are the quick step-by-step instructions for smoothly removing single-hung windows to do maintenance or cleaning and putting them back on the track after you’re finished with your window chores.
How to Remove Single Hung Window Sash
The only tool needed for this little process is a flat head screwdriver. You should also use safety glasses, and work gloves are recommended. To remove the single window sash:
- Locate the take-out clips on each side of the window.
- Make sure the sash is firmly closed. Use the screwdriver to remove the take-out clips on each side of the sash.
- Next, locate and remove the sash stops from the top corners of the window.
- Pull upward on the sash until it disengages. Both sides should grab the take-out clips. When both sides grab, you can see the bottom of the balancers (which are spring-loaded). That means the clips are no longer engaging.
- You can just slide the sash to the side and remove it from the track.
To Reinsert the Window Sash
After you finish maintaining or cleaning your single hung windows, use the steps below to reinsert the sash into the frame.
- Position the sash over the balancer, align the sash and place it into the track.
- Work the sash back and forth until both tabs lock in place.
- Slide the sash down until the balance is no longer visible on either side of the window screen.
- Push in the take-out clips.
- Reinsert the sash stops.
Nice work! You have removed and reinserted your single-hung window sash.
Check out all the single-hung windows we offer. See our online gallery of beautiful energy-efficient windows for your home and get more information about single-hung windows.
Your Window Care Experts – Advanced Window Products
We are a leading manufacturer of energy-efficient replacement windows, including single hung, double hung, casement, awning, sliding, bay, custom picture windows, and other popular styles.
We provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee and our industry-leading Double Lifetime Warranty to ensure our customers’ peace of mind throughout the lifetime of the windows we build.
For more information about single hung windows or other styles, call Advanced Window Products (801) 505-9622, or contact us here on our website anytime!